Tuesday, September 20, 2011

You're not that funny

I don't know if I can or will write a blog everyday.  I might, we will have to see.  I wasn't going to write today actually.  A few things prompted the post.  First, I wanted to clear up that while I am 375lbs and morbidly obese, and while I am currently pursuing weight loss surgery, this is NOT a blog about that.  I have found early on in my life that writing helps me clear my head and I am good at it.  Not in the technical sense, I will probably never get paid for it but I enjoy writing and I have found people enjoy reading what I write, for the most part.  This is just part of the plan, to write on what's going on in my life rather than picking up a sandwich or a slice of pizza.  I could simply buy a journal I know but something about others reading it make me feel I am heard.

Secondly, I had my psych evaluation for my vertical sleeve surgery.  It's mostly just one more hurdle to get over but the counselor had a good spirit about her.  I was more honest with her than I have been with anyone in a long time and I was shocked in a way.  I don't know if it was simply her open spirit, or my soul was crying out for a cleaning, or just maybe this surgery is so life changing it inspired me to reveal more of the person I'm leaving behind.  Regardless I found myself talking to her about the stress I'm under and for the life of me I can't remember what, but while I was telling her some truly horrific detail of the stress behind me being overweight I laughed.  The woman sat back and sort of blinked with a blank expression and then she began to nod, saying that I had a wonderfully resilient personality, that despite all that I have been through I can still laugh.  I get this reaction a lot so I think I will clarify to those that don't know me.

I am not a negative person at all that throws herself pity parties.  I am generally not a dark person either and I do enjoy laughing but I want to be clear, I do not think everything is funny.  It is a trait I inherited from both my mother and my father, this coping mechanism of "laughing" things off, like some people would shrug things off.  Often times I cling desperately to the humor of situations just to get through them.  I would not say I am jovial and at any given moment I am much closer to tears rather than laughter.  Crying in public, or throwing a grown woman temper tantrum, hell, cursing someone out, all of it, are socially unacceptable where as laughter is not.  I am sure there are days when I look as if somethings wrong because I'm not laughing/smiling.  I am also sure as I lose weight and become more comfortable in my skin I will do both less but if you know me, I ask that you take it as a compliment.  I simply trust you enough to relax my guard.

Any way, I'm still working on the blog, more changes to come.  I will leave you with a word from Ethel Barrymore that I found appropriate to this post.  "You grow up the day you have your first real laugh--at yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment